Thursday, September 30, 2010

Why Girls Flock To Ballroom

Before comeing to college, I made myself some goals to make sure my freshman year was good. Stuff along the lines of get good grades, meet people, join clubs, push myself out of my comfort zone, meet guys, ect. One of the clubs I joined was the Ballroom Dancing Society, which is now my absolute favorite thing to do, and every week I look forward to it. The awesome people are a major plus as well. Before joining this club, I was nervous. I am awful at dancing, and considering how accident prone I am to begin with, this didn't seem like a great idea. However, in my mind it seemed like a perfect way knock out two of my goals in one hit: to meet guys and push myself out of my comfort zone.



A few tiny problems. As much as I love ballroom dancing, it didn't exactly match the fantasy I had in my head. You know, the fantasy most girls have entering ballroom. Dancing with that totally hot and brooding guy in the corner. Being swept across the dance floor. Finding that perfect "dance partner" both on and off the floor. And on, and on, and on. Basically a total movie moment, think Take the Lead, with Antonio Banderas. which I wish my whole life could be made up of.

A few startling truths about ballroom. More girls tend to come to ballroom than guys. That means some girls are left dancing together. I have no problem with that, it's just annoying I can't be flirting with a handsome stranger while I dance. There are some guys there, however. Which brings me to the next point...

The Boys of Ballroom. Most of the intermediate dancers are total cuties and, of course, great dancers. I've even found awesome friends in one or two of them. But sadly, there's only so many intermediate guys, so now we go to the beginners. I've basically divided the beginner guys into 2 main groups; creepers, and possibilities. Possibilities are the guys coming here looking for girls because they know girls are looking for guys. They're usually at least a little cute, polite, nice, and don't totally suck as leads. Those are the fun guys to dance with. :) Creepers, on the other hand, are just that. They usually come to ballroom having never talked to a girl, never touched a girl, barely even looked at a girl. They're the ones that hold you too close or try to grab your butt. (Excuse me sir your hand goes on my back or my knee is coming up.) Needless to say, they aren't exactly what you picture when you think of romantic ballroom dancing.

Lastly, one last thing I for some reason keep forgetting as to why ballroom isn't exactly how I pictured it. I. Can't. Dance. I have two left feet and I am crazy accident prone. It takes me 50 times to even learn a few basic moves and I've stepped on people's feet a bunch. At the moment though, I have not been dropped yet, although I've been stepped on quite a few times.


Just to be clear, I love ballroom. Creepers and swollen toes aside, it's one of the best things I have ever done in my entire life. I've already found out I love the dances like the tango, rumba, and chacha, and when I have a cute guy as my partner, my dancing gets that much better. :) There's actually a competition coming up in November that I plan on entering. I may not be the best dancer by any means but I have fun and that's what I love about it. So for now, I'll wear my closed toed shoes, ask for some "extra practice" from some of the cuter dancers, and wait for my dancing movie moment to happen.

2 comments:

  1. ball room is FUN!!!!! chris & i took classes over the summer. that's awesome you are entering a competition best dancer or not the goal is to have fun & you'll d that. let us know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun!! My fiance and I want to take ballroom classes, but our schedules always conflict. I went once with a few friends of mine, but felt awkward dancing with strangers that were so much more advanced than I. So now I stick to shaking it alone at hip hop and belly dancing classes. ;D

    ReplyDelete

i love hearing what you have to say. feel free to leave me a comment. i read every single one you leave. <3